Savory Bread PuddingFrom fluffy24 6 years ago
- savory bread Pudding shopping list
- Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello shopping list
- 1 loaf country-style bread (about 1 pound) shopping list
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-sized pieces, divided shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion shopping list
- Finely ground sea salt, preferably gray salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves shopping list
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, divided shopping list
- 3 cups whole milk shopping list
- 6 large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 pound blue cheese, crumbled shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using a serrated knife, shave off the thicker parts of the crust from the bread loaf. Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Spread the bread cubes in a single layer on a 13 by 18-inch rimmed baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and place in a large bowl. Leave the oven on.
- In a skillet, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over high heat and cook, without stirring, until it turns nut brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for 10 seconds to release its fragrance.
- Pour the onion mixture over the toasted bread. Add 3/4 cup of the Parmesan and toss well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and nutmeg. Pour the milk mixture over the bread and toss well.
- Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Arrange the toasted bread evenly in the baking dish. Pour the custard evenly over the bread. Scatter the blue cheese and the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan over the top. Bake until the bread is golden brown and crispy on top and a thin knife blade inserted into the custard comes out almost clean, about 30 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Cut into individual servings and serve warm.
The Cookfluffy24 Cranston, RI
- Not added to any groups yet!