Homemade Apple PieFrom bluewaterandsand 8 years ago
- .....The crust:..... shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and chilled shopping list
- 1/4 cup shortening (nonhydrogenated), cut into 1/2 inch cubes and chilled shopping list
- 6-8 tbsp ice water shopping list
- ......For the pie:...... shopping list
- 6 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar, white or brown shopping list
- 1 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 tsp allspice shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 tbsp butter, in about 8 small pieces (reserve for assembly) shopping list
How to make it
- The crust:........
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add in butter and shortening
- and toss to coat the pieces with flour.
- Rub in butter and shortening with your finger tips, dipping the pieces
- in flour as you work until the mixture is coarse, sandy and no chunks
- larger than a big pea remain.
- Add water and press dough into a ball with the palms of your hands.
- Divide into two discs (using a knife) and wrap dough in plastic.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour and up to two days.
- *Make sure the butter is cold and work it into the flour quickly.
- Use ice water, when you're ready to add it, to keep the dough
- colder. Do not make a uniform mixture; you should have bits that
- resemble grains of sand and ones the size of peanuts.
- The difference in sizes will help improve the texture of the crust.*
- *Only use enough water to bind the dough together. A little extra
- water will make it easier to roll out and handle, but will diminish the
- flakiness of the final product. Refrigerate before rolling.*
- For the pie:................
- Mix apples, sugar, flour, spices and salt together in large mixing bowl.Stir well and set aside until dough has been rolled out.
- Remove one disc of dough from refrigerator. On a large, flat, lightly
- floured surface, roll the disc into a large circle. Turn it frequently and
- use sprinkles of flour as you roll to prevent it from sticking to the
- surface. Keep rolling until the dough will fill the pie dish (check by turning the dish upside down over the dough to see that there is plenty of overlay). Gently fold the crust in half, then in half again. Place in pie dish and gently unfold. Press into place, but do NOT stretch it to fit.
- Repeat rolling procedure with second disc of dough.
- Fill pie dish with filling and dot filling with reserved butter.
- Fold the rolled dough into quarters again and lay top crust on top of
- filling. Pinch edges to seal and don't bother crimping them, as this
- can toughen the edges. Discard any excess dough and cut a few
- steam vents in top crust.
- Bake pie at 425F for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 375F and bake
- for 55-60 minutes, until pie is golden and a knife inserted into an
- apple piece (through the steam vent) comes out easily.
- Let pie cool for at least 1 1/2 hours before slicing to allow juices to
- Serves 8.
The Cookbluewaterandsand GAFFNEY, SC
The Rating4 people
wow......great reci...nice pict.....thx my friend........angieaugusta in Adelaide loved it
Wow!! This is a masterpiece..ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
All time classic goodie! Yumjett2whit in Union City loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!