Chocolate Sponge Cake with Fresh FruitFrom mountainmama 5 years ago
- cake Ingredients: shopping list
- 1 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- 4 eggs, room temperature shopping list
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature shopping list
- 1 tablespoon creme de cacao* shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup Dutch process unsweetened cocoa shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® butter, melted shopping list
- Topping Ingredients: shopping list
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled, cut in half shopping list
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch, cut in half shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries shopping list
- 1 (10-ounce) jar apple jelly, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Place pan on baking sheet. Set aside.
- Combine powdered sugar, eggs, egg yolk and creme de cacao in large bowl. Beat at high speed until mixture is very thick and double in volume (5 to 8 minutes). (Mixture should be light yellow and consistency of soft whipped cream.)
- Stir together flour, cocoa and salt in medium bowl. Gently stir flour mixture into egg mixture by hand, 1/4 cup at a time, just until flour mixture disappears. Gently stir melted butter into batter.
- Gently spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To serve, decoratively arrange fresh fruit on top of cake. Drizzle melted jelly over top of cake and fruit.
- *Substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla.