CHICKEN TAGINEFrom mountainmama 6 years ago
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into fourths shopping list
- 1/4 cup raisins shopping list
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained shopping list
- 1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or cider vinegar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons paprika shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- Hot cooked couscous, if desired shopping list
How to make it
- Place apricots, raisins, beans, onion, bell pepper and carrots in slow cooker. Sprinkle with vinegar, paprika, coriander, cumin, salt and cinnamon.
- Melt butter in 12-inch skillet until sizzling; add chicken strips. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until is chicken browned (4 to 5 minutes). Add chicken to slow cooker. Pour 1 cup chicken broth over ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours, or on High heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from slow cooker; keep warm.
- Increase heat setting to High 20 minutes before serving. Combine remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth and cornstarch in small bowl; stir into mixture in slow cooker. Return chicken to slow cooker. Cover; continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes or until juice is thickened.
- Serve chicken mixture with hot cooked couscous, if desired.
- TIP: Dried Turkish apricots come whole rather than halved. They’re moister and sweeter than the more common California dried apricots. Either version of the Vitamin A rich fruit will work well in this recipe.