Sugo Alla Carrettiera Tomato and Basil SauceFrom jrt_mom 8 years ago
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 8 large cloves garlic, peeled and sliced thinly shopping list
- 2 lbs. fresh ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coursely chopped (or 3 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, torn by hand into pieces shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- Freshly grated formaggio parmigiano-reggiano (serve separately) shopping list
- Pinch of pepperoncini (red pepper flakes) - optional shopping list
- pasta choice: spaghetti, spaghettini, penne, Rigatoni shopping list
How to make it
- Put all but 1 tsp of olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-heat and cook until until the garlic begins to sizzle.
- Add the torn basil leaves and cook for three minutes. Remove the leaves and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes as soon as the garlic begins to change color. If using fresh tomatoes, you'll notice that they will give off a fair amount of liquid. When the liquid begins to reduce, season with salt. If using canned tomatoes, season with salt at the beginning.
- Continue cooking over medium-heat until tomatoes have reduced and separated from the oil. At this point, you have the option to add the pepperoncini.
- Add basil leaves. Reduce heat and let simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Cook al dente your pasta of choice. Drain pasta and toss with the sauce in the skillet, adding remaining tbsp of olive oil.
- Serve individual portions of pasta with sauce. Top with grated formaggio parmigiano-reggiano.
- Bon appetit!