Chicken DivanFrom charrm1 7 years ago
- 1/4 cup butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup white flour shopping list
- 2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 2 tsps worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 3 cups (3/4 lb) grated old or very old cheddar cheese. I prefer the very old cheddar for its distinctive strong cheesy flavour. shopping list
- 2 cups sour cream shopping list
- 1 large head of brocoli (cut up into spears, slightly cooked but still crunchy, not overcooked - very important) shopping list
- 3 whole boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut-up into long strips shopping list
- 1/2 lb or 1 pkg of fresh sauteed mushrooms (sauteed in oil) shopping list
- 1 or 2 - 5 oz cans water chestnuts, sliced, drained ( I prefer to add 2 cans, as I like the dish to be crunchy) shopping list
- 3/4 cup whole blanched almonds, slightly roasted in a hot pan until browned shopping list
- 4 to 6 cups of cooked Uncle Ben's or basmati or your preferred white rice (follow directions on package) shopping list
How to make it
- Cook the rice while you prepare the following sauce.
- Make the white sauce (on the stovetop at medium heat) by melting the butter in a skillet and adding the flour, mix well. Remove from heat and add the chicken stock at once and whisk briskly until the sauce is smooth and free of lumps. Return to heat and continue whisk and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add the worcestershire sauce and 2 cups of cheese. Allow the cheese to melt.
- Pour the sour cream into a medium bowl and gradually add the hot cheese sauce into it while whisking the sauce. The sauce is done.
- In a large buttered shallow baking dish, place the cooked brocoli spears, then the cooked chicken strips, then the mushrooms and then the water chestnuts. Pour the cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top. Cover and heat in a 350 degrees oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve on top of the cooked rice and sprinkled with roasted almonds.