Southern Fried Fruit PiesFrom dariana 7 years ago
- 1-1/2 cups dried peaches, apricots, and/or apples (6 ounces) shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups apple cider shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 cup shortening shopping list
- 2/3 cup buttermilk or 1/3 cup buttermilk and 1/3 cup whipping cream shopping list
- water shopping list
- 4 tablespoons shortening shopping list
- Sifted powdered sugar shopping list
How to make it
- For the filling, in a saucepan combine dried fruit and apple cider. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 20 to 25 minutes or until fruit is tender (cider should be cooked down). Mash slightly. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for the pastry, in a bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the buttermilk or buttermilk mixture over part of the flour mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of the buttermilk at a time, until all the dough is moistened. If pastry seems dry, add a little water, 1 tablespoon at a time. (Do not overhandle.) Form dough into ball.
- Pat or lightly roll dough into a 15-inch circle. Using a 4-inch round cutter, cut the dough into 12 circles, rerolling dough as needed. Place about 1 tablespoon fruit on half of each circle. Moisten edges of circles with water. Fold over into half-moon shape. Seal edges with tines of a fork.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the shortening over medium-low heat. Fry half of the pies for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. (Add remaining shortening; fry remaining pies.) Serve warm.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Cool pies completely and wrap securely in foil. Place foil-wrapped pies in a tightly sealed plastic bag. Freeze pies for up to 3 weeks. Reheat frozen pies, wrapped in foil, in a 350 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until heated through.) Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Makes 12 individual pies.