Bears Rice with PeasFrom grizzlybear 6 years ago
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 stick of cinnamon, about 1 1/2 inches long shopping list
- 3 bay leaves shopping list
- 4 whole cardamom pods shopping list
- 5 whole cloves shopping list
- 1 cup peas, either freshly shelled or frozen peas thawed in very hot water and drained shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice (not parboiled) shopping list
- 2 3/4 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (1 1/4 if the broth is unsalted shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a heavy 2- to 2 1/2-quart pot over medium heat. When hot, put in the cinnamon, bay leaves, cardamom pods, and cloves. Stir the spices for 5 seconds.
- Now add the peas. Stir and fry for a minute.
- Add the rice, and turn the heat to low. Stir and fry the rice for about 3 minutes, Now add the chicken broth and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, turn the heat to very, very low, and cook, undisturbed, for 25 minutes, Turn off the heat, Let the rice rest, covered and in a warm spot, for 10 minutes.
- Mix the rice and peas gently with a fork, and serve.
- The whole spices in this dish are for flavoring only and are not to be eaten.