Mexican Cornbread by Ol Lady JacksonFrom dianne1207 7 years ago
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal shopping list
- 1/3 cup cooking oil shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2 well beaten eggs shopping list
- #303 can cream style corn shopping list
- 6 oz. can evaporated milk shopping list
- 1 lb. ground beef shopping list
- 2 small jalapeno peppers, remove seeds & chop fine shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, cooking oil, baking soda, salt, eggs, cream style corn and evaporated milk. Set aside.
- Saute ground beef in a 10 inch cast iron skillet until lightly browned and add onions. Cook lightly until onions are slightly tender. Remove meat and onions from skillet.
- Lightly brown a small handful of cornmeal in the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour 1/2 of the cornmeal batter into the skillet; sprinkle with cheese, meat mixture and jalapeno. Pour remaining batter over all.
- Bake 30-45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cool 10-15 minutes. Remove from skilllet and serve hot.