Broccoli And Cheese SoupFrom annielikestocook 8 years ago
- 50g butter shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 Kg broccoli, cut into stalks and florets shopping list
- 1 large potato, quartered shopping list
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock shopping list
- 125ml single cream shopping list
- 1 tablespoon lemon juiice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce shopping list
- few drops of Tabasco sauce shopping list
- 125g mature cheddar cheese, grated (I like to add at least 250g) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- watercress sprigs to garnish (I like to use chilli flakes) shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and broccoli stalks and cook, covered, for 5 minutes over a moderate heat. Stirring frequently.
- Add the broccoli florets, potato and vegetable stock to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and cook, partially covered, for 5 minutes.
- Season the soup to taste and continue to cook over a moderate heat for 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
- Puree the mixture in batches in a blender or food processor, transfering each batch to a clean saucepan.
- Add the cream, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and a few drops of Tabasco to the pan.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes (do not boil or the soup will curdle)
- Just before serving, stir in the grated cheese.
- Garnish each portion with sprigs of watercress (or the chilli flakes)