Holiday Cranberry SaladFrom falafel_fanatic 5 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups dry wheat berries shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided shopping list
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries shopping list
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup shopping list
- 1/4 cup cranberry juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon apple-cider vinegar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 3/4 cup diced celery shopping list
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted shopping list
How to make it
- In a large bowl, add wheat berries and cover with water to 2" above wheat berries.
- Cover and let stand 8 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, add the wheat berries and 1/2 teaspoon. Cover with enough water to come up 2 inches above the wheat berries.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook until tender - about 60 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly and let cool to room temperature.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the cranberries and maple syrup - place over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the cranberries pop - about 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Move mixture to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in juice, oil, vinegar, mustard, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to cranberry mixture.
- Add wheat berries, celery, onion, parsley and pecans - mix together thoroughly.
- Serve now or chill until ready to eat.