Red Beans And RiceFrom janabeth 8 years ago
- 1 lb dry red kidney beans shopping list
- 1 bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 lg onion, chopped shopping list
- 5 celery ribs, chopped shopping list
- Minced garlic, to taste shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 Tbs black pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp ground red pepper shopping list
- salt, to taste shopping list
- Cajun sausage, or spicy sausage shopping list
- Several dashes hot sauce, Louisiana or Tabasco shopping list
- Several dashes Worcestershire shopping list
- smoked ham hock, if available, or finely chopped ham shopping list
How to make it
- Soak beans overnight, or at least for 8 hours.
- Bring beans to a rolling boil. Drop heat a bit, and let boil for 45 minutes to an hour. Drain beans.
- Saute onions, celery and bell pepper. Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes. (At this point, I puree these veggies, as I don't like to bit into those kind of veggies in my soups or casseroles). Add veggies and all remaining ingredients to the drained beans. Add just enough water to cover it all.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 2 to 3 hours. It should start looking nice and creamy. If not, take some beans out and mash them real good, then put em back in the pot. At about a half hour till done, adjust seasonings to taste. You may have to add some water during the cook time. Just make sure not to add too much, as this dish is supposed to be creamy, not soupy.
- Serve with long grain white rice (NOT minute rice!)
The Cookjanabeth Grand Forks, ND
- Not added to any groups yet!