Heirloom Apple CobblerFrom chefmeow 6 years ago
- 2 ounces unsalted butter shopping list
- 3 pounds heirloom apples peeled cored and sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter chilled and cut into small cubes shopping list
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger shopping list
- Zest of 1 orange shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream plus additional to brush crust shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 450 then gently melt butter in sauté pan over medium heat.
- Stir in apples, lemon juice, sugar and flour.
- Partially cover and cook gently until tender about 15 minutes then stir in vanilla.
- Transfer to buttered pie dish.
- Combine remaining flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles crumbs then stir in ginger.
- Stir orange zest into cream then using a fork stir cream into flour until it holds together.
- Gather dough into ball then knead briefly and roll out until it is a little larger than top of pie dish.
- Transfer to top of dish and trim off excess then cut hole in center of dough and brush with cream.
- Bake 10 minutes then reduce heat to 375 and bake 25 minutes then serve warm with cream.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!