Tequila LoxFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 2 each 1 Lb salmon fillets (skin on) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp crushed black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 Cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 Cup coarse salt shopping list
- 1/2 Cup fresh cilantro leaves shopping list
- 1/4 Cup fresh dill weed shopping list
- 1/4 Cup fresh chives shopping list
- 1/4 Cup golden tequila or your liquor of choice shopping list
- 1/2 Cup fresh cilantro leaves -- loosely packed shopping list
- bagels or sliced pumpernickel bread shopping list
- spicy mustard shopping list
- lime wedges shopping list
How to make it
- prep time does not include the 3 days of refrigeration
- Spread the pepper/sugar/salt mixture evenly over the salmon.
- Spread the chopped herbs in the same manner and then sprinkle the tequila over the herbs.
- Once all the tequila has been absorbed,sandwich the two fillets together, flesh to flesh and skin sides out. wrap in cheesecloth or plastic wrap, pulling the cloth as tightly as possible around the fillets.
- Lay the package on a cake cooling rack set in
- a pan.
- Put the weight in a second, smaller cake pan and place it on top of
- the fillets to press out the unwanted water.
- Place the entire contraptionin the bottom of your refrigerator.
- Turn every 12 hours, replacing the weight each time.
- At the end of the 3 days, remove the cloth, discard any accumulated liquid, scrape off the herbs, rinse with water, and pat the fish dry.
- To serve, finely chop one cup of fresh cilantro and cover the flesh
- side of the fish.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the salmon at a 45° angle as thinly as possible.