Cherry Pie with Spiral Crust RecipeFrom mountainmama 5 years ago
- PIE CRUST: shopping list
- - 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- - 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- - 1/4 cup shortening (chilled) shopping list
- - 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine shopping list
- ice water (6 to 8 tablespoons) shopping list
- FILLING: shopping list
- - 1 can cherry pie filling shopping list
- - 1 teaspoon almond extract shopping list
- - 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
How to make it
- PIE CRUST: See the double pie crust recipe for instructions on preparing the pie crust. Follow the double pie crust recipe through placing the bottom crust in the pie plate. Trim the edges flush with the edge of the pie plate. Refrigerate the pie crust for the top until ready to use.
- FILLING: Pour the cherry pie filling into the bottom crust and distribute evenly. Sprinkle the almond extract and sugar over the top of the filling. Gently swirl through the pie filling with the tip of your finger to distribute the extract and sugar through the filling. They do not need to be completely mixed in the filling.
- SPIRAL TOP CRUST: Roll out the top crust in a long narrow strip. Cut the crust into long strips that are 3/8 to 1/2 inch wide. Starting with one strip in the center of the pie, begin to twist the strip and coil it around the center of the pie. Continue to twist the strip as you coil it around or it will begin to untwist. Work out towards the edge of the pie.
- Add strips as needed to keep them in one continuous length by moistening the ends of each and pressing together to attach to the previous strip. Continue adding strips and coiling out towards the edge until the entire pie is covered. Work carefully so that you do not let the strips touch the filling until you are putting them into place. This will keep filling from getting on the strips where you do not want it.
- Moisten the edge of the pie with water and then place a slightly wider strip tightly twisted around the edge. Press to seal.
- Cut three leaf patterns from leftover crust and apply to the center of the pie. Sprinkle the crust lightly with sugar to give it sparkle and to add crispness.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- greentreefrogs TN
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔