Borscht With Cabbage And VeggiesFrom chacha 5 years ago
- 1 lb. fresh beets, about 6 small shopping list
- 3 quarts or 3 liters of water shopping list
- 2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 celery ribs, peeled and sliced or diced shopping list
- 2 large carrots, peeled and either cut in rounds of 1/2 inch or diced shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 1-2 potatoes, peeled, chopped into chunks shopping list
- 1 28-oz. can tomatoes, diced or whole and coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 small cabbage, about 1-1/2 lbs. shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. dark molasses shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice shopping list
- Note: I prepare a package of small sized cheese filled tortellini to serve on the side. This is something I began several years ago. They are meant to be spooned into the soup but it's up to the individual and that's why I place them in a serving dish on the table. shopping list
How to make it
- Wash and peel the beets. You may want to use laytex gloves for this as beets stain the hands terribly.
- Cut the beets into small dices, and put them in a 10 to 12 quart saucepan.
- Add water, salt, bay leaf, and garlic.
- Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn heat down and simmer for approximately 25 minutes or until the beets are tender.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, potato and tomatoes.
- Cut cabbage into 4 wedges. Then cut into 1/2 inch thick slices, and add to the saucepan.
- Cover saucepan, and bring back to a boil.
- Turn the heat down slightly, and simmer for about 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with molasses and lemon juice.
- Serve with sour cream.
- Serves 10 as an appetizer soup.