Sauerbraten Sour roasted beefFrom lovingmybabbyalways 5 years ago
- 1kg piece of beef (e.g. from the upper back hip, no usual roast beef!) shopping list
- 1/4 l vinegar from red whine or a mixture 50:50 red whine and vinegar shopping list
- 2 bay leafs shopping list
- 2 tblsp whole black pepper shopping list
- 2 big onions shopping list
- 1 big carrot shopping list
- 200g potatoes shopping list
- 1/4 l bouillon shopping list
- 2 tblsp creme fraiche (or sour cream) shopping list
- salt, pepper, oil shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Place meat in a high dish, fill with vinegar (or mixture)
- until covered. Add bay leafs and pepper grains and place dish in the
- refrigerator. Leave there for 2-3 days, turn meat around at least once.
- 2. Get meat out of marinade and dry. Spice meat with pepper all around.
- 3. Cut onions, carrots and potatoes in little cubes.
- Heat oil, place meat in it and roast until brown from all sides.
- Add onions until brown, too.
- 4. Salt the meat, add potatoes and carrots, then the bouillon, and, optionally,
- some more red whine (esp. if you used only vinegar before).
- Add also a little of the marinade (without leafs and pepper).
- 5. Simmer for at least 1 1/2 hours on low heat in a closed pot, turn once.
- 6. Get meat out of the pot and keep warm.
- Puree the sauce, let reduce a little. Add creme fraiche or sour creme,
- add salt and pepper to your taste.
- 7. Cut meat into slices, serve.
- Traditional side dishes are potatoes or Kloesse (dumplings),
- and some vegetable like Rotkraut (that is hot red crabbage).