Tomatillo RelishFrom 240brick 7 years ago
- 1 large-sized tomatillo (about tennis-ball size), or two smaller ones shopping list
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper, OR 1 red cherry pepper shopping list
- 1/2 a medium-sized onion shopping list
- 1 clove garlic shopping list
- 1 tsp lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tsp brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp olive oil (approximately) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp celery seed shopping list
- 1 TBS fresh cilantro (or parsley), chopped shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Start by finely chopping the tomatillo, chili pepper, onion and garlic. A food processor will work, but please don't let the vegetables process into a paste...you want some little chunks in there!
- Add the chopped vegetables to a container with a tight-fitting lid. A plastic food-storage container is perfect, as the relish will be stored in it! Add the remaining ingredients, and put the lid onto the container. Shake and swirl the container to thoroughly mix the ingredients. That's it, you're done.
- Let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour before using, to allow the flavors to blend. Immediately before serving, give the container another shake. Use to top hot dogs and burgers, or add it to a sandwich. Makes about 1 cup.