Autumn Beef StewFrom kytigger 8 years ago
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds stewing beef shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1/2 cup sliced celery shopping list
- 3 cups beef broth shopping list
- 2 carrots shopping list
- 2 medium potatoes shopping list
- 1/2 cup baby lima beans shopping list
- 1 cup apple juice shopping list
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels shopping list
- 1 jar (12 ounces) small white onions, drained, or about 1 dozen frozen, thawed shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cold water shopping list
How to make it
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, brown the beef in the vegetable oil; add onion and celery and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes longer. Add beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add the carrots, potatoes, lima beans, and apple juice; simmer for about 30 to 40 minute longer, or until vegetables are tender. Add drained onions and corn; continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine flour with cold water until smooth. Add the mixture to the simmering broth, a little at a time, until stew is thickened. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Serve with hot buttered biscuits or cornmeal.
- Note:Feel free to add chunks of rutabaga or turnip along with the potatoes or add chunks of sweet potato about 15 minutes before the stew is done
- Serves 4 to 6.