Vegetarian beer cheese soupFrom 444garnet 8 years ago
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) butter shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped onions shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery shopping list
- 2/3 cup finely chopped carrots shopping list
- 1/2 cup flour shopping list
- 4 cups chicken-flavored vegetable broth shopping list
- 2/3 cup beer (Octoberfest or darker beers are good) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 2 cups whole milk shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- ½ teaspoon salt shopping list
- 5 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Heat butter in a heavy 5-quart soup pot.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Add broth to soup pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add beer, Worcestershire, milk and cream.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes.
- Add sugar, mustard, fennel and cayenne and cook for one minute.
- Add cheese slowly, whisking constantly until the cheese melts and soup begins to bubble.
- If soup seems a little too thick, add additional broth or warm milk.
- Can be refrigerated and reheated if you slowly heat it on the stove, whisking constantly to keep the cheese from separating.