La Golondrina Cafe Flan with Cranberries and PecansFrom midgelet 7 years ago
- 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- juice of 1 orange, about 1/2 cup shopping list
- 5 eggs shopping list
- 2 1/2 (14-ounce) cans condensed milk shopping list
- 1 1/2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups milk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla shopping list
- garnish: toasted pecans, dried cranberries, whipped cream or an optional strawberry sauce shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the sugar with the orange juice and one-fourth cup water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Continue to cook until the sugar caramelizes and turns an amber color, then remove from the heat and immediately pour into a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, then whisk in the condensed, evaporated and regular milks.
- Whisk in the amaretto and vanilla, and then pour the flan base into
- the baking dish.
- Place the dish inside a large roasting pan (the roasting
- pan must be big enough so that there is a 1-inch clearance on all sides) and fill it with enough hot water so that it comes halfway up the side of the glass baking dish.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until a knife inserted near the center of the flan comes out clean.
- Remove the flan from the water bath and allow to cool, then place in the refrigerator, loosely covered, to chill until cold, preferably overnight.
- Invert onto a platter and serve immediately
- Garnish with cranberries, pecans and whipped cream OR
- Serve with an optional strawberry sauce or any fruit topping