Christmas Fruit CakeFrom celestialvortex 6 years ago
- 1/8 cup chopped dried cherries shopping list
- 1/8 cup chopped dried mango shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries shopping list
- 1/4 cup currants shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied citron shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans shopping list
- 1/2 cup rum shopping list
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 2 tablespoons milk shopping list
- 8 tablespoons butter shopping list
How to make it
- 1 Soak dried fruit in 1/4 cup rum for at least 24 hours. Cover tightly, and store at room temperature.
- 2 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Butter and line with parchment paper a 6 inch round pan.
- 3 Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- 4 Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg. Add the flour in three batches, alternating with the milk and molasses. Stir in the fruit/ rum mixture and nuts.
- 5 Scrape batter into prepared pan,and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, anjd then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons rum.
- 6 Place a piece of parchment paper, large enough to wrap entire cake, on a flat surface. Moisten a piece of cheesecloth, large enough to wrap the cake, with 1 tablespoon rum. Place the cheesecloth on top of the parchment paper, and unmold the cake on top of it. Sprinkle the top and sides of the cake with the remaining rum. Wrap the cake, pressing the cheesecloth closely to the surface of the cake. Place the cake in an airtight tin, and let age for at least 10 weeks. If storing longer, douse with additional rum for every 10 weeks of storage.