Double Crust Apple PieFrom eny 5 years ago
- Pastry shopping list
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 10 Tbsp. cold butter or margarine, cut up shopping list
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening shopping list
- 6 to 7 Tbsp. ice water shopping list
- apple Filling shopping list
- 2/3 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cups cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinammon shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 31/2 lbs Granny smith, Golden delicious, and/or Braeburn apples, each peeled, cored, and cut into 16 wedges. shopping list
- 1Tbsp. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine cut up shopping list
- 1 lg. egg white, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 tsp. sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare pastry: In food processor with knife blade attached, blend flour and salt. Add butter and shortening, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, until large moist crumbs just begin to form.
- Shape dough into 2 balls, 1 slighlty larger. Flatten each into a disk; wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight. (if chilled overnight, let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before rolling).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 F. Place cookie sheet on rack in lower third of preheating oven to bake pie on later. Prepare apple filling: in large bowl combine sugar with cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add apples and lemon juice, and toss to coat evenly.
- On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll larger disk of dough into 12-inch round. Ease dought into a 91/2 inch deep-dish glass or ceramic pie plate. Glently press dough against bottom and up side of plate without stretching. Trim dough edge, leaving 1-inch overhang; reserve trimmings. Spoon apple mixture into pie crust; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining disk for top crust into 12 inch round. Center round over filling in bottom crust. Trim pastry edge, leaving 1-inch overgang; reserve trimmings. Fold overhang under; bring up over pie plate rim and pinch to form stand-up edge, then make decorative edge. Brush crust with some egg white. Reroll trimmings. With knife or cooke cutters, cut out apple and/or leaf shapes; arrange on pie. Cut short slashes in round to allow steam to escape during baking. Brush cutouts with egg white, then sprinkle crust and cutouts with sugar.
- Bake pie 1 hour 10 minutes or until apple are tender when pierced with knife through slits in crust. To prevent over-browning, cover pie loosely with tent of foil after 40minutes. Cool pie on wire rack 3 hours to serve warm. or cool completely to serve later.