A Nova Scotian Brown BreadFrom sher 6 years ago
How to make it
- Combine oatmeal, Butter, salt, and molasses.
- Pour Boiling water over top... stir to mix and let cool to warm
- To molasses mixture add another cup of flour... beat..
- Add yeast ...Beat
- Add 2nd cup flour ... keep adding more flour mixing as you go until dough is easy to handle.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead in as much of the remaining flour a bit at a time until dough is smooth and elastic it will still be a bit sticky. (The above part can also be mixed in a stand mixer with dough attachment)
- Place dough in an ungreased bowl cover with a plastic food cap ....or a new shower cap will work just as well.
- Let dough rise until double in bulk about 1 1/2 hours
- Dump dough out on lightly floured surface... degas dough ... shape into a round ball... dust with flour... cover with clean tea towel and let rest 15 minutes
- Cut dough into two equal pieces shape into loaves and place in loaf pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spray tops of loaves cover with towel and rise in a warm draft free spot until double approx. 45 minutes
- Meanwhile preheat oven 400*
- Bake loaves 15 minutes reduce heat to 375* bake an additional 15 minutes or till done.
The Cooksher New Minas, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!