Ropa Vieja Old RagsFrom lacrenshaw 8 years ago
- Two 1 1/2-pound lean chuck steaks shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea or kosher salt shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon onion powder shopping list
- 3 tablespoons canola oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup Sofrita shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 16 ounces Spanish-style tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 3 tablespoons alcaparrado (coarsely chopped pimento-stuffed olives) shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 4 ribs of celery, with leaves, in 1/4" dice shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, 1/4" dice shopping list
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (I make this totally on the stove top)
- Season beef on both sides with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Sear steaks on both sides (about 10 minutes).
- Spoon off most of the fat.
- Stir in the Sofrito, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the cumin.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, alcaparrado and bay leaves.
- Bring back to the boil, cover and simmer (or bake) until the meat pulls apart easily with a fork, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove meat from pan.
- Shred meat coarsely by hand or using two forks.
- Return meat to sauce.
- Add celery and carrots.
- Bring to a simmer and cook 10 to 12 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in peas.
- Cook a few minutes more, adding more water, if needed.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve with white rice or small boiled potatoes.
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
- Not added to any groups yet!