Basic White BreadFrom spoil_me2 6 years ago
- 1 package active dry yeast shopping list
- 1/4 cup warm water shopping list
- 1 cup milk, scalded ( I use soymilk) shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons of shortening ( I use non hydrogenated shortening) shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon salt ( I use Original No salt, sodium free salt alternative) shopping list
- 3/4 cup cold water shopping list
- 6 cups (about) all- purpose flour ( I use bread flour) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Soften yeast in the warm water.
- 2. In a large bowl combine the scalded milk, sugar, shortening, and salt. Add the cold water and cool until luke-warm. Blend in the yeast.
- 3. Gradually beat in about 3 cups of flour until batter is smooth. Then stir in enough remaining flour to form a dough that is stiff enough to form into a ball. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4. Knead until dough is smooth and satiny, about 5 to 10 minutes. Put into a greased dep bowl; turning dough once so that the greased side is to the top. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- 5. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and divide dough into halves. Form each half into a smooth ball; cover and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 6. Shape into loaves and place in a 2 lightly greased loaf pans. Cover and Let rise again until doubled. Approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- 7 Bake in a preheated oven set at 400 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Note: my calculation on prep time are on how long it took me. It may take you longer it may not.