Fruit CakeFrom jmatthews00 4 years ago
- 1 lb. butter shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 9 eggs shopping list
- 4 1/4 cups flour, sifted shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tsp. nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp. allspice shopping list
- 1 lb. candied cherries shopping list
- 1 lb. candied pineapple shopping list
- 1 lb. mixed candied fruit shopping list
- 1 lb. raisins (half currants, if desired) shopping list
- 1 lb. walnuts, chopped shopping list
- 2 cups sherry or brandy (I always use brandy shopping list
How to make it
- Cream butter, sugar, add eggs, beat well;
- add flour sifted with spices, alternately with HALF of liquid.
- Add fruit and nuts which have been dusted with small amount of additional flour.
- Pour into ungreased pans lined with brown or wax paper.
- Bake 250 degrees 4 hours if one large pan, approximately 2 hours for loaf pans.
- Test with toothpick.
- Remove from oven.
- Pick top with fork or slim nail.
- Pour remaining sherry or brandy over cakes, while still hot and in pan.
- (While baking, a pan of water on bottom shelf helps keep it moist.)