Barley Lentil Mushroom SoupFrom aluminum_chef 7 years ago
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 3 large carrots, sliced shopping list
- 500g sliced mushrooms (reduce this quantity if you add in other veggies) shopping list
- 1 sweet bell pepper, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 can whole potatoes, quartered (you can use real potatoes, but haven't gotten the cooking time down for those yet) shopping list
- 7-8 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3/4 cup pearl barley shopping list
- 3/4 cup dry lentils (i used brown, but whatever you have on hand) shopping list
- 10 cups vegetable stock/broth shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage shopping list
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (optional) shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and half of the minced garlic and cook until the onions are transluscent. Mix in the carrots and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add the barley and lentils and stir so they are coated with oil. Continue to cook (remember to stir frequently, so they don't stick to the bottom) for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the vegetable broth and seasoning (thyme, basil, sage, pepper and the bay leaf) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, red pepper, potato and remaining garlic. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookaluminum_chef Montreal, CA
The Rating4 people
I love this-but must throw some meat in.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
I make something like this minus the barley and lentils... this should be good!jrt_mom in Metro Manila loved it
Wow looks great.
Markmark555 in Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World loved it