Scratch Whole Wheat PastaFrom jgnat 7 years ago
How to make it
- In a large bowl measure the flour.
- Make a well in the flour.
- Break six eggs or 8 Tablespoons water in to the well. Yesterday I used one egg (all I had on hand) and made up the rest with water.
- Break up the egg with a fork and gradually incorporate the flour until you have a stiff lump.
- Knead until smooth. The kneaded lump will be denser than for bread dough, but it should not be breaking apart (too dry) or sticking (too wet)
- Add water or flour (in small amounts) to achieve the dough texture you need.
- Assemble your pasta maker and have your lump of dough ready and resting under a tea towel. Also have a spare bowl of flour ready.
- Spread your counter or table with about four tea towels to accept the drying pasta to come.
- Pinch off a section of dough about 1/2 cup in size. Knead it in to a ball, testing for moisture. Dip in the flour if needed to reduce the moisture.
- Set the pasta maker at the thickest setting (seven on my machine), and roll the lump of dough through.
- If still too wet, dip the flattened dough in the flour again. Fold over the dough and run through the pasta machine again.
- I run the dough through the machine at the highest setting, at least six times, folding over each time.
- You should have an elastic sheet of dough.
- Lower the setting on the machine to the next lowest thickness and roll the dough through again.
- Repeat through to the lowest setting on the machine.
- You should now have a sheet of dough as wide as the machine and up to two feet long. You may cut the sheet in half to make it manageable for cutting.
- Roll the dough through the cutting rollers, catching the dough as it comes out on the back of your hand.
- Lay the dough gently on your tea towels for drying.
- If the noodles are not separating after being cut, your dough is too wet. Add a little more flour to your next batch.
- Let the noodles dry and then package for the freezer or refrigerator.
- Home-made noodles cook quickly, less than five minutes. Drop the noodles in rapidly boiling water, and watch. As soon as the noodles rise to the surface, remove the pot from the heat and drain.