Pear Preserves ala Mary ElizabethFrom lacrenshaw 8 years ago
How to make it
- Peel and slice the pears as for pie.
- Place pears in a heavy Dutch Oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes until pears "juice".
- Measure the quantity of cooked pears.
- Add the same amount of sugar.
- Boil rapidly (be CAREFUL, it splashes!) until mixture thickens.
- Test thickness on a saucer.
- Drop a small amount of preserves onto the saucer.
- Tilt the saucer to gauge thickness.
- Remove from heat when thickness is as desired.
The Cooklacrenshaw Horsham, PA
The Rating2 people
I make pear preserves often, as we have a large pear tree in our yard. I add some orange peel to mine, it gives it an extra pleasant flavor. Great tips in this recipe, high 5!juels in Clayton loved it
I remember having something like this years ago. My mother-in-law would divide these at Christmas and add red and green food coloring to each bowl. Also red hots to red and mint to green. Kids loved them and so did we. Thanks for the memory.gapeach55 in Covington loved it