Maple Frosted Apple Hand PiesFrom lillyann 6 years ago
- 2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, & chopped (I used 3 McCoun) shopping list
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- Pinch ground nutmeg shopping list
- Pinch salt shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (I used pie crust this time, both work great) shopping list
- 1 cup cubed Cheddar shopping list
- 1 large egg shopping list
- 1 tablespoon water (I used no water) shopping list
- Maple Glaze: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar shopping list
- 7 tablespoons maple syrup shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and toss to combine.
- In a saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Cook apple mixture for 7 to 10 minutes until apple juices release and apples are slightly softened. Sprinkle flour over mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry sheet. With pizza wheel, cut pastry sheet into 6 squares.
- Add the cubed cheese to cooled apple mixture.
- Divide the apple mixture in the center of each pastry square, leaving a 1-inch border along the long sides.
- Carefully fold into triangle shape; crimp the ends together with fork to seal, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water to make an egg wash. With a pastry brush, lightly coat the outside of each square with the egg wash. Using a paring knife, make a vent in each triangle.
- Bake until risen and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Cool slightly and drizzle with maple glaze. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream on the side.
- Maple Glaze: Combine sugar and syrup until smooth.
- (I added in about 4 - 6 oz. of softened cream cheese)
The Cooklillyann Chicago, IL
- Not added to any groups yet!