Yugoslavian Christmas CookiesFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- 1 egg yolk shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 cup seedless blackberry jam shopping list
- 1/2 cup egg whites shopping list
- 1 tsp lemon extract shopping list
- 3/4 cup grated ( very fine chopped ) walnuts shopping list
- 1 cup coarser chopped walnuts shopping list
How to make it
- Cream butter with 1/2 cup sugar and salt with electric mixer.
- Mix in egg yolk and flour to combine
- Dough will be crumbly
- Press into a 11 1/2 by 16 1/2 inch baking pan with floured hands.
- Spread jam evenly over dough
- Mix whites to soft peaks.
- Gradually add remaining sugar and lemon extract and beat mixture to stiff peaks.
- Fold in grated walnuts
- Spread mixture over the the jam
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven until meringue is hardened, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cut cookies in pan while warm , 8 rows by 11 rows.
- Lightly press broken meringue back into jam layer.
- Cool completely
- Makes about 7 dozen
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating2 people
You are on a roll with all those wonderful holiday sweets!herby in Albany loved it
Cookies And Sweets451 members
Christmas All Year181 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together133 members
The Holiday Dessert Table123 members
Anything With NUTs42 members
Feeding A Crowd38 members
Oldies But Goodies113 members
A Cookie Jar57 members
All Things Vegetarian65 members
Butter Is Better64 members