Roys Kalua Pork Quesadillas with Smoked Mozzarella Avocado and Lomi Lomi SalmonFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- 1 salmon fillet, about 5 oz shopping list
- 3 tbs seal salt shopping list
- 2 tbs thinly sliced scallions shopping list
- 1 Maui onion, finely diced shopping list
- 3 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely diced shopping list
- 2 lbs pork shoulder or pork butt shopping list
- 3 tbs sea salt or kosher salt shopping list
- 8 corn tortillas shopping list
- 8 oz smoked mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/2 cup garlic spinach (see recipe on my page) shopping list
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced shopping list
How to make it
- Sprinkle the salmon fillet with the sea salt (3 tbs) , submerge in cold water, and refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours (overnight works well).
- Drain off water and finely chop salmon. Combine with scallions, onion, and tomatoes and reserve the in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the grill. Coat the pork heavily with the salt (3 tbs), place in a heavy all-metal pot or saucepan, and add enough water to come to about 1/3 of the way up the sides (meat should NOT be covered with water).
- Place the pot on the grill, cover the grill and slowly cook over low heat for about 3 hours.
- Replenish the coals by adding fresh dry coals periodically. The meat should be pale in color, plump, and soft (you could also cook the meat in a smoker).
- Remove the pork and when cool enough shred the meat in long strips.
- To prepare the quesadillas, place 4 tortillas on a work surface, layer with the cheese, garlic spinach, avocado, and pork (about 1/2 cup pork per quesadilla), and top with another tortilla.
- Heat a cast-iron or non-stick skillet and cook the quesadillas over low heat for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side, or until the cheese melts and everything is warmed through.
- To serve, cut each quesadilla into quarters and arrange in the center of each serving plate. Garnish with Lomi Lomi Salmon.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
Cookbook Reviews148 members
Grilling BBQing238 members
Unusual Combinations82 members
Anything Goes286 members
101 A Cheese Place143 members
Unique And Unusual Recipes84 members
All Things Cheese76 members
Cast Iron Cooking99 members
Polynesian Dishes8 members
BBQs Smokers43 members