Peking DuckFrom 22566 8 years ago
How to make it
- The secret to a crispy skin is all in the preparation of the duck before roasting.
- Air is blown between the skin and meat of a duck,which is dunked into sweetened water and air-dried until the skin feels like parchment paper.
- A pan filled with sand instead of water should be placed under the duck to catch the fat while cooking.
- Trim the duck and rinse inside and out in hot water.
- Pat dry.
- Carefully insert fingers between skin and meat and loosen skin.
- With a large needle and string,sew up large cavity.
- Sew neck cavity as much as needed so there is only a small opening.
- Insert a drinking straw in neck between skin and meat.
- Fashion a noose just below opening.
- Blow as much air as possible through straw into duck to separate skin.
- Pull noose tightly to seal air in.
- The duck should fill up like a balloon.
- Meanwhile fill a large pot with about 12 cups of water,add honey and bring to a boil.Turn off heat.
- Holding duck by neck briefly dunk duck once or twice.Do not leave duck in water to long.
- The dunking will wash off surface fat and tighten pores.
- Hang duck to dry in a cool will ventilated area for 4 to 6 hours,until skin feels like parchment.
- The drying time can be reduced by blowing on the duck with an electric fan.
- Trim the green tops off scallions to leave white bulb and about 2" of pale green.With knife cut 1-1/2" slits into both ends of scallion stalks.
- Place in a bowl of ice water to crisp and curl into brushes.
- In bowl blend hoisin sauce with soy sauce,divide among small dishes for serving at table.
- Remove top rack from oven.
- Place pan to catch drippings on bottom of oven.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Replace rack and lay duck directly on rack,breast side up.
- Roast for 15 minutes,reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue roasting duck until skin is crisp and meat is tender and no longer pink near bone,about 1 hour.
- Slide duck half way out of oven and slit cavity and pour off excess fat.
- Remove duck to a serving platter.
- To serve duck, remove skin and cut into 2" square pieces.
- Place around edges of a heated patter.
- Slice meat and arrange in center of platter.
- Reserve carcass for duck soup.
- Diners spread hoisin sauce on pancake(recipe soon to follow),place a piece of skin and meat with a scallion brush in center,and roll up into a fat cigar shape,which is eaten with fingers.
- Okay...thats it!!
The Cook22566 TX
- Not added to any groups yet!