Whole Wheat Apple MuffinsFrom kathygee 6 years ago
- 1 cup (4 ounces) whole wheat flour shopping list
- 1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature shopping list
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed shopping list
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk or yogurt (i generally use the yogurt option) shopping list
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Grease and flour an 18 cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and add the granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix well; stop once to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Mix in tthe yogurt or buttermilk. If using the buttermilk, mix in gently. (If you over-mix, the buttermilk will cause the mixture to curdle.)
- Stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the apple chunks.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn the heat down to 400°F, and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the tin, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely