Simply Maple Creme BruleFrom matth 7 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 300
- Scald the heavy cream - put it in a pan and heat on medium. Don't let it boil.
- Mix the egg and egg whites with a paddle mixer or a whisk.
- Add the heated cream to the mix along with the maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of maple sugar and the maple extract.
- Pour into 8 ramekins
- Put the ramekins in a cake pan (or two - I use one large and one small cake pan) and fill the pan about half full with hot tap water.
- Place in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes (45 = creamy consistency, 50 = pudding - I prefer the pudding)
- Remove and place in refrigerator to cool, OR pour out the hot tap water and put in ice and cold water - that will make them ready to eat much sooner.
- When ready to serve, spread a tablespoon (maybe a little less) of sugar over the top and heat to melting with the blowtorch. Be careful not to heat too fast or you will end up with caramel on the top... but it's really easy and quick to do. Thinner layers of sugar are easier to work with, so you can work up to the thicker layers if you want.
- ALSO, I made this recently using 1/2 cup of maple sugar and without any Grade B syrup (which is hard to find). It took 40 minutes @ 300 degrees and was much easier to brule (less moisture content). Tastes good too, so you might start with that simpler method.