Collard GreensFrom chef_irish 8 years ago
- 1 smoked turkey wing or 3 to 4 ounces smoked ham hocks or both shopping list
- 2 quarts water shopping list
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 4 pounds of fresh collard greens shopping list
- 3 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vinegar shopping list
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 4 medium turnips, peeled and quartered shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Place turkey wing or smoked ham hocks in large pot; add water and red pepper flakes. Cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, but do not drain.
- Break stems off of greens. Wash leaves thoroughly.
- Slice leaves into bite-size pieces by rolling several leaves together and slicing in one fourth inch strips.
- Add greens, sugar, oil, vinegar, onion, salt and pepper to smoked meat.
- Let greens cook down in pot, then cover over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add turnips and continue cooking until greens and turnips are folk tender.
- Serve with a slotted spoon.