Noteworthy Penne a la VodkaFrom alp26 6 years ago
- 1/2 box of penne shopping list
- 1 small onion, diced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup vodka shopping list
- 5 plum tomatoes shopping list
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated shopping list
- few sprigs Italian flat-leaf parsley shopping list
- couple of basil leaves shopping list
- 1/2 cup heavy cream shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Empty 1/2 box of penne into boiling water that is salted and has some olive oil in it. While it is cooking, get started on the sauce.
- Wash tomatoes, then cut each into eighths. Salt and pepper each tomato. Loosely chop the basil and parsley. Put oil in a saucepan, turn on burner medium-low, and heat. Add in the garlic. Fry for 30 seconds, then add the onion. Add pinch of salt and pepper. Sweat this for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes, mash them well, turn heat to low, then put on cover. Cook for 3-4 more minutes. Add basil and parsley. Add heavy cream (you may add a bit more. The heavy cream not only bind the sauce, but it also changes its color to orange. I play around with the measurement to get the precise color of my liking; I like the sauce orange-y). Stir.
- Add the vodka. Stir. Add the parmesan cheese, and stir. Taste. The parmesan gives a very distinct salty tinge to the sauce. If you want it more flavorful, add more parmesan cheese. Put on cover, turn off burner.
- Drain the penne. Dump into the saucepan with the sauce in it. Turn on very low heat. Stir the penne with the sauce until it is coated well. SERVING SUGGESTION: On a serving platter, sprinkle on some chopped basil/parsley and parmesan cheese.