Basic Chicken Ham And Leek PieFrom sacredspice 7 years ago
- puff pastry (enough to cover your cooking dish) shopping list
- 2 chicken breasts shopping list
- 4-6 slices or ham or bacon shopping list
- 2 leeks shopping list
- Good pinch of pepper shopping list
- Pinch of salt (not needed if using smoked ham or bacon) shopping list
- Half cup of plain flour shopping list
- 1 cup of milk (you may need more) shopping list
- 1 cup of chicken stock shopping list
- 3 tbls butter shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
How to make it
- Trim and cut 2 skinned chicken breasts into small pieces
- Dice 4-6 slices of ham or bacon
- Finely slice 2 leeks
- In a large frying pan on medium heat fry the leeks, chicken, ham and pepper in 1 tbls of butter for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked.
- Spoon chicken, ham & leeks into cookware dish, preheat oven to 180c (356f).
- Prepare enough pastry to cover dish. You can use small individual dishes.
- In a sauce pan gently heat the remaining butter and add some of the flour and mix into a paste (a rue). You may need to add more butter.
- Pour in half the milk and all the stock and stir in the remaining flour gradually so not to make lumps whilst over the heat. Sometimes a siev can help. Keep adding the flour and milk until the sauce if quite creamy. Be careful its easy to add too much flour! You may need to add more flour or milk to get it right.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, ham and leeks in the dish(s).
- Beat one egg
- Cover the dish(s) with pastry and brush pastry with beaten egg.
- Cook for 40 minutes at 180c or until the mixutes start to bubble out.
- Serve with mash and greens.
The Cooksacredspice Newbury, AU
- Not added to any groups yet!