Individual Sweet Potato PiesFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- 6 small sweet potatoes shopping list
- 1 stick butter ( no substitute ) softened shopping list
- 1 cup white sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup milk, half and half or cream shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg shopping list
- Home made pastry for a double crust pie ( probably just need half of it and freeze any leftovers ) shopping list
How to make it
- Boil potatoes until tender, drain, remove skins and place flesh in a bowl.
- Let cool to warm
- Add the butter, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and eggs and whip with an eletric mixer until smooth.
- Portion your home made crust into 6 to 8 balls or as many you think you may need and place into individual pie tins , fluting edges and pricking bottom with tines of a fork
- I have several tin sizes and the ones I used are not the mini size but the two serving size.
- My filling filled 5 small pies ( photoed are 4 )
- it really does not matter what size pie tine you decide to use.
- The recipe can also fill a large 9 or 10 inch pie shell
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven about 55 to 60 minutes or until filling is puffed and tip of knife center comes out clean.
- Be careful not to overbake which would cause a drier filling
- Remove to rack to cool ( filling will defalte to original size )
- Let cool completely.
- At this point you can cover and refrigerate or freeze.
- Garnish the pies prior to serving with coarse granulated sugar and a dollop of whipped cream
- Note : this is a simple basic recipe but one can add stuff to the pie such as toasted pecans, brown sugar, etc etc.