Fabada Fava Bean and Chorizo SoupFrom alchemistchef 7 years ago
- 1 lb. fava beans shopping list
- 4 small chorizo sausages or 2 large ones shopping list
- 1/4 lb. pancetta (not Spanish, I know, but I like the added flavor) shopping list
- 1/4 lb. jamón serrano shopping list
- 1/2 lb. ham hocks shopping list
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock shopping list
- 1 carrot, chopped shopping list
- 1 onion, diced shopping list
- 2 garlic shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. paprika shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- a few threads of saffron shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Soak the white beans in water overnight. Drain, rinse thoroughly and drain again.
- Heat oil in large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the chorizo, pancetta, jamon serrano and other meat products and sear meat on all sides. (It's okay if it isn't completely seared-just do the best you can to brown the meat). Place meat large stew pot over medium heat.
- In pan with meat drippings, saute the onion, carrot, garlic, paprika and saffron for a 5-7 minutes over medium heat, add additional oil if necessary. Add to stew pot, along with chopped parsley and bay leaf.
- Add beans to stew pot. Add chicken broth and extra water if necessary to cover all the beans/meat. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, or until beans are tender. Make sure the beans are always covered with liquid, adding water if necessary.
- Take several beans, mash them up, return them to the pot and cook uncovered for several minutes.
- Serve with good crusty bread.