Best Eggplant Gratin EVERFrom neidl32 8 years ago
- olive oil for frying shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices shopping list
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese shopping list
- 2 extra large eggs shopping list
- 1/2 cup half-and-half shopping list
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup quality marinara sauce shopping list
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Heat 1/8 inch of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Do not use extra virgin olive oil, the smoke temperature is too low.
- When the olive oil is almost smoking, add several slices of eggplant and cook them. Flip them once they get light brown. both sides should be cooked through in 5 minutes.
- Transfer cooked eggplant to paper towels to drain. Do this until all eggplant slices are cooked.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, eggs, half-and-half, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- in a shallow baking dish, place a layer of eggplant. then sprinkle with more pepper and Parmesan cheese. Spoon on half of the marinara and half of the ricotta mixture.
- Place the second layer of eggplant on top of the mixtures, top that with the rest of the marinara, and ricotta mixture.
- Spread the mozzarella on top and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 375 F and bake for another 20 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Serve hot and enjoy!