Easy Broccoli Cheese SoupFrom chef_irish 5 years ago
- 1 bunch broccoli, about 1 1/4 pounds, washed and trimmed shopping list
- 2 cups sliced onions shopping list
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 7 cups chicken broth, divided shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Cut florets off broccoli and divide into small sections.
- Simmer in lightly salted water for 2 minutes; drain and immerse in cold water to stop cooking then set aside.
- Cut stalks into small pieces; place in a large saucepan.
- Add sliced onions and 3 tablespoons of butter to saucepan; sauté over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups chicken broth and oregano to the saucepan; simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
- Carefully process hot mixture in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan; stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in mustard and pepper.
- Gradually stir in processed mixture and remaining 4 cups of chicken broth.
- Continue to cook, stirring, until mixture begins to bubble.
- Add milk and cheese; stir until smooth and cheese is melted.
- Add remaining broccoli florets and heat through.
- Serve Hot with A Crusty Bread