Savory Potato Walnut Cakes With Peppers and Yogurt SauceFrom chefmeow 4 years ago
- 5 medium red skinned boiling potatoes shopping list
- 1 white onion sliced shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic chopped shopping list
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 egg whites lightly beaten shopping list
- Sautéed Peppers: shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper shopping list
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into strips shopping list
- 1 large yellow bell pepper cut into strips shopping list
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into strips shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- 1 cup plain yogurt shopping list
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme shopping list
How to make it
- Place potatoes in a steamer basket in a large pan over boiling water.
- Cover pan and steam until potatoes are just tender when pierced about 30 minutes.
- Let potatoes cool then chop them coarsely and transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 then coat a round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line bottom with parchment paper cut to fit then coat paper lightly with spray as well.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic then cook stirring occasionally about 10 minutes.
- Add walnuts along with 1 tablespoon fresh thyme and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add pepper mixture to bowl with potatoes and stir to combine then season with salt and pepper.
- Add egg and stir briskly with a fork until evenly mixed.
- Press potato mixture evenly into prepared pan then bake 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
- Slide a table knife around the edge of the pan then shake pan to loosen the cake.
- Invert onto a serving plate then lift off the pan and peel away the parchment paper.
- Stir caraway seeds in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until fragrant about 1 minute.
- Stir in oil and crushed red pepper.
- Add peppers and garlic then cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and sauté stirring frequently until peppers are tender about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar then season with salt and serve.
- To make sauce combine yogurt with 1/2 tablespoon thyme.
- To serve cut potato cake into wedges and top each serving with sautéed bell peppers and sauce.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!