Orange Upside Down CakeFrom chefmeow 6 years ago
- 1/4 cup butter shopping list
- 1 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
- 2 large oranges shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries shopping list
- 1 cup vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1 cup molasses shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- 1/2 cup buttermilk shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 then melt butter in round cake pan.
- Remove pan from heat and cover melted butter with brown sugar.
- Peel oranges and slice 1/4" thick.
- Remove white pith in center of each slice and remove any pits.
- Arrange slices cutting some into smaller shapes if desired in decorative fashion on top of sugar.
- Put dried cranberries in center of each slice then sprinkle with grated orange peel.
- Cream shortening and molasses in bowl of an electric mixer set on medium speed.
- Add egg, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, ginger and buttermilk.
- Beat 3 minutes scraping down sides of bowl occasionally until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter over fruit then bake 30 minutes and invert immediately onto serving platter.
- Do not remove pan then allow to stand 10 minutes then remove pan and let cake cool.