Sinaloan Mexican Shrimp CocktailFrom dianartimus 4 years ago
- 1 large Maui sweet onion peeled, trimmed and diced shopping list
- 2 large cucumbers peeled, cored and diced shopping list
- 1 large bunch of cilantro, washed and minced shopping list
- 4 large limes, juiced (save juice in measuring cup and set aside peels) shopping list
- 4T catsup (ketchup is fine) shopping list
- 2T hot sauce (I like Cholula but Tabasco is fine) shopping list
- 1 bag of shrimp boil shopping list
- 1T salt shopping list
- 1lb large bag of frozen jumbo shrimp, uncooked, peeled shopping list
- 2 pitchers of cold water shopping list
How to make it
- Put a 6 qt stock pot 1/2 full of water, (I use my big spaghetti pot) add salt and the lime peels to water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- In the meantime peel, trim and dice onion, peel, core and dice cucumber adding both to the largest bowl you have.
- Wash and mince Cilantro, adding to the bowl
- Add lime juice, catsup and hot sauce to vegetables and mix with a rubber spatula well. Cover and set aside.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add the shrimp boil packet and wait about a minute before adding frozen shrimp.
- Bring back to a boil and as soon as the shrimp turn pink, pour the shrimp into a large colander. Pour cold water over the shrimp to stop it from cooking.
- Cut shrimp in bite sized pieces, inspect for any hidden shells and any tails that need removing. Add all the cleaned shrimp to the bowl of onion, cilantro and cucumber and mix well. Add a touch of seasoned salt to taste and serve in large individual chilled cocktail bowls and you will wow your family and/or guests.
- Serve with freshly fried corn tortilla triangles and I can guarantee some happiness! You can also serve this up on a nice bed of Boston lettuce and it makes a fabulous salad! Enjoy!