Sourdough pretzelFrom jones2888 6 years ago
How to make it
- Let all ingredients and utensils come to room temperature
- Add the 2 tablespoons butter, the 3 tablespoons, sugar, and the 2 tsp salt to the cup of hot water. Cool to lukewarm.
- Put the proofed batter into a warm bowl. Add the cooled water mixture.
- Add 4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead in approximately 1-1/2 cups more of the flour. The dough will be very stiff. (gk: They ain't kiddin'!)
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, turn over, and cover. Let set for 2 hours to proof.
- On a board which has been scraped clean of flour break of pieces of the dough about the size of a large egg. Roll each piece out with the palm of your hands until it is about 18 inches long and about 1/2 inch in diameter. Twist into the shape of a pretzel.
- Bring a pot of water to a rapid boil. Drop as many pretzels as will fit without touching into the water and cook about 30 seconds after they have risen to the top. (Or longer, if you like a chewier pretzel.)
- Remove to a baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in a preheated 425*F oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and cool on wire racks.
The Cookjones2888 Columbus, OH
- Not added to any groups yet!