Cream of Asparagus SoupFrom baby_rei 8 years ago
How to make it
- Break off the woody ends from the asparagus (hold both ends of spear and bend it gently--the woody end will snap off and can be thrown away) and trim off the tips. Blanch the tips in boiling water for 1-2 minute, refresh in cold water and set aside.
- Chop the asparagus stems into lage pieces.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes over low-medium heat, or until soft and golden. Add the chopped asparagus stems and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the stock, basil and celery salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Check that the asparagus is well cooked and soft. If not, simmer for a further 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour into a foor processor and process in batches until smooth. Then sieve into a clean saucepan. Return to heat, pour in the cream and slowly reheat.
- Do not allow soup to boil. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Add the asparagus tips and serve immediately.