Mollys Egg and Bacon SaladFrom astrochef 7 years ago
- 4 slices, white bread, or brown or granary. Thick sliced with crusts removed shopping list
- 6 eggs, poached or soft/hard boiled shopping list
- 4 slices, back bacon, thick-sliced, you can use streaky bacon shopping list
- 4, little gem lettuces, leaves separated and rinsed can also be (2 small cos lettuce can be used shopping list
- ½ tablespoon, red wine vinegar shopping list
- ½ tablespoon, olive oil shopping list
- 4 whole, spring onion, washed and finely shredded shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the slices of bread into a ½ in dice, unless grilling, if grilling, leave the slices whole.
- If using soft hard-boiled eggs, them simply quarter them, the ingredients calls for 4-6 eggs, but 4 should be enough, however 6 eggs will clearly give 6 quarters for each portion. The bacon can now be pan-fried or grilled until crispy, if pan-frying, use just a dot or two of the oil, any fat content will be released into the pan from the bacon, this will also happen if grilling/broiling. Either method you choose, keep the bacon fat for frying the bread afterwards.
- Once cooked, remove the bacon from the pan and keep warm.
- Now add the bread and fry until golden and crispy, it might need a little extra oil to get a golden finish.
- If the bacon has been grilled/broiled then just brush each slice of bread with the fat from the bacon, and toast now the bread can be diced.
- Season the salad leaves with salt and pepper its advisable, when making salads, to sprinkle salt in the bowl and not directly on the leaves, this will stop the salt from falling on to wet leaves and sticking in lumps. Add the red wine vinegar, just enough to coat the leaves, and the olive oil.
- Cut the bacon into strips and mix into the leaves, with the spring onions and fried/toasted bread.
- Arrange on four plates or offer as one large salad the hard-boiled egg quarters can now be seasoned with salt and pepper and positioned amongst the salad leaves.
- For poached eggs, re-heat in simmering water for 1 minute before placing on top of the salads.