Grilled CakeFrom lumpy1 4 years ago
How to make it
- Prepare the cake batter according to the recipe directions. The recipe should state that it makes two 8" cakes. (you are not using 8" cake pans.)
- Prepare the grill. Place coals on the lower rack in the weber charcoal grill off to one side in a moon shape to provide indirect heat to the skillet which will be placed on the top grill. To be sure you can check the size of your skillet that you will be using before lighting the coals. Light the coals, using the lighter fluid or alternate method of your choice. Open the upper and lower vents on the grill.
- Grease the inside of the cast iron skillet and pour in all of your prepared cake batter.
- Place the top rack on the grill above the coals, and check your coals by placing your hand over them for 4 seconds. They should be good and hot. Place the batter filled skillet on the rack above the coals off to receive indirect heat. Cover the grill, and turn cover so that the open vents face upwind.
- Bake cake 35 minutes or time required in the original recipe as if using an oven. Cake is done cooking when a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly, it reaches 165*F on a meat thermometer, or it springs back to the touch, when lightly pressed in the center.
- Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered suger, sifted through a strainer.
The Cooklumpy1 Markham, IL
The Rating3 people
My mother actually used to have to cook like this when I was young. We did not have an indoor stove and she cooked everything over an open pit fire behind the house. That is where I learned how to cook. Eventually she got her stove and recipes became...morequaziefly in ALL POINTS loved it
We tried this, it's great! Thanks for the recipe!homeschoolscout in Herscher loved it